Friday, November 22, 2013

The Legacy Continues

Here's what I learned during yesterday's exciting - albeit sort of stressful - day:  there is a reason I was destined for two scheduled c-sections.  I can not handle the impending birth of a child in my life without knowing an exact date and time for his or her arrival.  Although I love surprises, unscheduled births cause me too much anxiety.

My sister-in-law Cari's due date for baby number two was Thanskgiving, but her doctors told her early in pregnancy that she'd never go that long.  Between her petite frame and the baby's big measurements, we were all certain he'd be here early to mid-November.  Her mind was definitely ready for baby's arrival, and her body was showing signs that it was ready too.  So we waited.  And waited.  And waited.  I will admit patience was not a virtue I was embodying during the past two weeks.  I begged and bargained a little bit.  I stalked Cari via text.  I might have even gotten a little bit angry with this baby's time table.  But in the end, the saying is true as always:  all good things come to those who wait.

May I introduce you to the new man in my life, Cayden Edwin Pokarney, born yesterday at 12:34 pm weighing 8 pounds 9 ounces, 20.25 inches.  He is the fourth generation to carry the middle name in addition to carrying on the family name, an exciting legacy to be sure.


As the girls said, still riding their Mary Poppins high, he is practically perfect in every way.


Practically perfect and also already sporting all the latest fashion trends.  Rainbow loom bracelet for newborns are totally in right now.  He rocked the look.


Of course I was not the only female in our house anxiously awaiting Cayden's arrival.  Big Cousins McKenna and Elaina were almost as excited as I was to go meet him yesterday afternoon.  The bonus of getting in some time with the new Big Sister was an added motivator for getting to Bloomington as fast as possible.




As for Miss Ella, she is as hilarious, sassy, and entertaining as ever.  Just as her shirt announces, she is definitely filling the role of awesome big sister as she watched suspiciously while the pediatrician and nurse examined her baby brother (she was not a fan of them making him cry) and blew him kisses to make him feel better.




Of course the novelty of just about anything when you're two wears off pretty quickly.  I have a series of classic pictures that pretty much sums up what she really thinks about all this new baby hoopla.  It's going to be so much fun watching from the sidelines as she grows into this new role.

I could have held and snuggled and loved on that beautiful boy all night long.  His picture is already prominently displayed on my desk at work and I'm counting down the days until I get to love on him again.  I've mentioned it before, but there really is little in this life that brings me as much joy as being an aunt.  The first time, the sixth time, the twelfth time, all those times in-between and however many times might come after . . . it is one of the proudest, most amazing roles I am honored to hold.


Congratulations, Erik and Cari.  He is perfection wrapped in a little blue blanket.

2 comments:

Tru Stories said...

The first grandson! How fun. And just shy of sharing The Kid's birthday.
Congrats everyone!!

Big Boca Bob said...

I was in Cayden's hospital room today from approximately 10:30 am to 8:00pm minus a short coffee break and cupcake run thrown in there. This is not an exaggeration. I just can't get enough of baby snuggles. The girls are right. He is practically perfect in every way. I didn't even care that your brother tried convincing the nurses and cleaning staff that I was hiding out in the hospital to prevent potential deportation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails